Commands and special phrases are entered into the speech box to cause various actions.
Speech[edit | edit source]
Pressing Enter will open a speech box into which messages can be typed. Pressing enter again will display the message above your character's head, or close an empty speech box. The length of messages you can type increases with your character's age, starting with only 1 symbol as a baby, up to around 60 symbols at the end of your character's life. The up and down arrows will cycle through previously spoken phrases.
Naming[edit | edit source]
See Names for full article.
Last Name[edit | edit source]
It is only possible to set your last name as an Eve. To set your last name, use one of the following phrases, where X is the desired last name:
- CALL ME EVE X
- CALL ME X
- I AM EVE X
- I'M EVE X
- IM EVE X
- I AM CALLED EVE X
- I AM NAMED EVE X
- I AM CALLED X
- I AM NAMED X
- I AM X
- I'M X
- IM X
- MY NAME IS EVE X
- MY NAME IS X
First Name[edit | edit source]
A first name can only be given by another player. Once a baby is born, a mother or any other adult can name the child by picking up the baby and typing one of the following commands in the chat, where "X" is the desired first name. It is also possible to name an unnamed adult by standing nearby (within about a screen's distance) and using the command.
- YOU ARE CALLED X
- YOU ARE NAMED X
- YOU ARE X
- YOU'RE X
- YOURE X
- YOUR NAME IS X
- I NAME YOU X
- I CALL YOU X
Cursing[edit | edit source]
It is possible to curse another player by typing "CURSE X" where X is the players name. A player's full name must be used including any roman numerals. A successful curse is accompanied with purple speech text, and a chime noise. These phrases are also acceptable:
- CURSE X
- I CURSE X
- I CURSE YOU X
- CURSE YOU X
See Curse for full description.
Property[edit | edit source]
See main article: Property Fence
To allow other players to open a gate which you have built, say "X OWNS THIS" while they're nearby, or say "YOU OWN THIS" to allow the nearest person to you.
Slash Commands[edit | edit source]
Typing "/" followed by various commands as listed below will cause different results. Slash commands are not affected by the usual age-restricted character length.
Recipe Index[edit | edit source]
Holding an item in game will make a set of related recipes appear in the bottom right corner of the game interface. These can be scrolled through using tab, and z+tab to go back. Ctrl+tab makes bigger page jumps. Furthermore, if you enter "/" into the speech box, followed by an item name, e.g. "/Rope", it will only show recipes used to craft that item. Otherwise it will show "Not Relevant". Entering "/" will clear the search function again.
Emotes[edit | edit source]
Emotes change the expression on your character's face, and can be activated by typing "/" followed by various options. Some emotes are hidden by a character's hair. The "/HUBBA" emote is animated. Two emotes, "/ILL" and "/YOOHOO" also make a noise.
Sudden Infant Death[edit | edit source]
In the first two minutes of life, it is possible to instantly die by typing "/DIE" into the speech box. This will give reason of death as "Sudden Infant Death" and leave behind Baby Bones. It also adds that family to your temporary skip list. Once you've skipped through all families, and there are none left to try, your skip list clears, and you go back to being born through all the same families again.
If you have been picked up at least once, then it will reset the birth timer for the mother. This command allows a player to choose what kind of life they want to live, without penalizing the fertility of the mother and without having to wait 1 minute until they can jump from their mother's arms.
FPS[edit | edit source]
""/FPS" will toggle a count of the current frames per second (are you experiencing GPU slowdown in dense areas?)." — Jason Rohrer
PING[edit | edit source]
""/PING" will ping the server and display the round-trip time in milliseconds (is your connection to the server getting flaky?)." — Jason Rohrer
DISCONNECT[edit | edit source]
"/DISCONNECT" will force a disconnect. (More info needed)
History[edit | edit source]
- Prior to the Steam Release, Shift + tab was used to view previous pages in the recipe index. As this conflicts with Steam's interface, it was changed to z + tab.
- v.184 - "/FPS" and "/PING" commands added
- Version ? - You don't have to be held to use the /DIE command. Also increased from first one minute, to first two minutes of life.
- v.210 - Seven new emotes added: "/ILL", "/SHOCK", "/HUBBA", "/HMPH", "/LOVE", "/YOOHOO" and "/OREALLY".
- v.236 - "/DIE" no longer triggers a lineage ban, but instead adds that family to your temporary skip list. You only become Eve if there are actually no available mothers around to have you.
- v.239 - The lineage/area ban on "/DIE" is back. 
- v.240 - New "/DISCONNECT" command added in client for testing.
References[edit | edit source]
- Jason Rohrer, OHOL Forums, "Update: Precious Life", 8 June 2019. Retrieved on 10 June 2019.
- Jason Rohrer. OHOL Forums: "Update: Yuletide Together", 21 December 2018. Retrieved on 21 December 2018.
- GitHub change log, Retrieved on 17 June 2019.
- Jason Rohrer, OHOL Forums, "Update: Clutter Be Gone", 30 May 2019. Retrieved on 30 December 2019.